Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Poor Man's Caviar

Several years ago my friend Tami was hosting a garage sale. Well what does any good friend do when she is hosting a garage sale; yes that's right invite all her friends to bring their junk and sell it as well. Well one afternoon at the garage sale Tami brought out some yummy chips and poor man's caviar ??? I was skeptical but now I'm hooked. Most ministry events where I need to bring something quick that feeds a bunch of people I whip this up. It's kinda addicting, okay well some refer to it as crack but that's a crude comparison but it's pretty amazing.

I normally double all the non spicy ingredients so my kids can eat it. Feel free to add more fire to your liking.

First of all do you love Ikea ? I do! It meets so many of my shopping needs in one store. Oh and their cinnamon rolls yup to die for, you should really try one! Well my friend Alisha who is living in Romania was flying into town, and what better to do then go to Ikea when your by the airport! She pointed these bad boys out to me and I love them!!! They are thin laminated type paper cutting boards that clean up oh sooo easy!

Okay so get out your fancy cutting board or one from Ikea for $3 and grab a red/purple onion.

Dice it up really fine,(yes the whole onion) and place in a large bowl. I like to use glass so you can see all the pretty colors.
Then your going to add all the canned stuff to a big bowl.



I double up on the beans and the corn but not the Rotel.
Next chop up a green or red bell pepper.

Then add the crushed garlic, cilantro & red pepper.
Your end results will be a beautiful colorful dip just waiting for you to devour.
This was prior to mixing. If you look below you see a gorgeous photo I took off of this site.

Poor Man's Caviar


1 can black beans drained & rinsed

1 can corn (or 1 1/2 cup frozen corn) drained

1 can rotel tomatoes

1 red onion diced very small

2 cloves garlic crushed

fresh cilantro snipped (add to your taste)

crushed red pepper, start with 1/4 tsp and add as needed

lime juice

1 pepper diced (red, greeen or yellow)

salt to taste

Mix all together and let sit for a few hours to blend flavors. Can be made a day ahead. For more heat, add nore garlic & crushed red pepper.

Pin It

No comments:

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs